Sunday, November 8, 2009

Being a lady is...

I am really enjoying this St. Vincent album, a few months behind the curve I suppose, but that's about my speed right now. Two nights ago, I put it on while a male friend was at my home. He told me he liked the album as well, and then mentioned how attractive the artist is. Google has confirmed this is the case.
I sometimes wish that the female musicians, writers, bloggers etc that I liked did not all seem to be thinner and prettier than the average lady. Is that somehow a misogynist thing to say? I sort of feel disappointed to see that all the women who's being celebrated for being talented, even in the sort of "indie" realm I operate in, are also very pretty in the face and skinny in the body. Where's my lady Thom Yorke? That man's uncomfortable visage just sort of adds to his music.
Maybe I just have to learn to be cool with "hot girls who are also talented", instead of "appreciative yet also jealous of" these people. Yet in a weird way I feel like in desiring to date men, I am not only up against the ladies around me, but also these hipster-ideal artists of various stripes. I even almost didn't share the (witty, off-beat, excellent) writings of Edith Zimmerman with my friends, even though I like them quite a bit, for fear of being somehow compared to her in terms of my own wit and cuteness. That lady has some extreme cute-face.

I dearly wish I could view my own gender in a more rational way.

No comments: