Sunday, February 3, 2008

Winter, for real.

Today it snowed for the second time this winter, and for the first time it stuck to the ground. I am unreasonably cheery about this, because snow is lovely, but also because I haven't had to go outside today for any reason. Tomorrow morning, I think, will be a different story, since I am pretty sure none of my shoes make a good promise of being waterproof. At least I have gloves, which I bought because they looked like candy and only cost $3. Just in case you think it is impossible to find deals here.
Life has been very boring, unless you find homework or drinking wine out of the bottle while watching movies interesting. I am lucky that I have all the "Arrested Development" DVDs with me here, or I think I would be going a little more crazy than normal. Hearing english, as well as my kind of humor, is very comforting. I also highly recommend laughing at people more messed up than you are, even if they are fictional, as a good depression remedy. It is just too bad there are only these 50 episodes to watch...
In other news, since I am one broke-ass bitch, I have finally started to apply for jobs. This is really hard to make myself do, since I am pretty wiped out in general during the weeks from school and going to work after that sounds really, really shitty. But, then again, so does avoiding the school's managerial staff for the next 4 months because I don't have their tution money, or moving to a smaller and crappier apartment to save on my rent. I have been trying very hard to do things like keep the heat down and carry home-made lunches to school, but that is not going to make up an extra month's rent. Also, I would like to say personally to the American Dollar: Fuck you, man. Fuck you.

Some of the jobs leads I have sound great, like proofreading or babysitting. Others are the terrible-sounding grind of English tutoring. the mill that chews up and spits out all this country's available foreign twenty-somethings. Even if I just end up doing that, though, I will be happy enough having a steady income again for the first time in a year and a half, as well as any kind of social interaction beyond what happens in school. But cross your fingers for me that I get one of the two jobs I listed, or both: I really am good with kids, you know.

No comments: