Tuesday, May 22, 2007

It's better not to make plans.

This flight leaves and arrives on different dates.
US Airways
Flight 6657
Departs: 12:34p
Los Angeles (LAX)

Arrives: 3:55p
Narita (NRT)

Coach | Aircraft: Boeing 747-400 Passenger | 11h 21m

So it looks like my total lack of ability to make any plans for the summer has paid off, kind of. Paid off in that by doing nothing, a spot in a program in Japan has opened up for me without me having to do any additional work. Kind of, in that I now have to MOVE TO JAPAN in a month. That's right, one month. As well as finish up all my coursework for the quarter, and the stuff I still have to do for last quarter, and a million other pleasant little things. Save me, zombie Jesus!

In less panic-ridden news, I went home for my sister's high school graduation, and it was actually quite nice. I did not have a fight with anyone, except for a Delta rep curbside at LAX and some businessman who claimed to be in line in front of me. And once I was home, there was a lot of picture taking, and food eating, and observing my sister's friends from a short distance. There was also a wee bit of shopping and beach-going, just enough to allow me to forget momentarily that I had to return to school life and that I was woefully, painfully behind on my work.

I left home with a bunch of stolen/borrowed pictures of my various parents in their states of youth, as well as me as perhaps one of the most adorable children ever to walk the face of the earth. Seriously, you should see these pictures. In some of the pictures I have of my mom and (actual) dad, they are most definitely younger than I am now, and I have a hard time really grappling with that. But I took the pictures to have reminders of my mom and stepdad and dad, and a wee myself, as happy people who are glad to be with each other. With the hope that it will fill in some memories of my past, and pre-history, that are sorely lacking.

I also now own a picture of my (6'4" tall) father in which he is wearing a shirt that I gave to George, and which he seems to wear almost all the time. This one is going to go in the mail.

No comments: