Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Ohh MAN.

I bought my stupid ticket. The itinerary is pretty terrible, and it was $200 more than I had seen tickets going for only four short days ago, but this is what you get when you procrastinate (as I always, always seem to).
On a potential upside, I have a 4 hour layover in Seattle, during which time I may be able to chill with a friend who is now living there. So, hey, all things turn out for the best. Perhaps!

Also this morning, I attempted to make vision and dental appointments for before I take off, and that proved to be an exercise in folly. Apparently you need to make these appointments way, way before the 3-week mark. The woman at the dental clinic was particularly pissed at me for wanting to, you know, go to the dentist before I LEAVE THE COUNTRY.
This is bad news because I haven't been to a dentist for over two years now (when I had my wisdom teeth out), and I am very sure that I have cavities. Like, 100% sure. And yet I cannot stop eating the sugar, whenever I see it, just pouring it all in my mouth and then running around my apartment like a maniac until the rush dies and I pass out in the middle of the living room floor. Or something like that.

So, anyway, I have to spend the next few days calling the vision people at 12am in hopes of a same-day appointment, and I should probably find some non-university dentist who will take my insurance, and I should probably find a place to store all my things and rent a truck and move out, and finish my 10-or-so response papers that are long overdue. And find an apartment in Japan. And plan to see everyone who I want to see in this area of the country before I leave.

What else? What else is there? I know there must be.

In other news, I have been listening to a ton of Led Zeppelin lately; it has been a wonderful combination of rocking out hard (while cleaning my kitchen, etc) and feeling incredibly nostalgic. I listen to a lot of music, but it's rarely the kind of stuff where you sit back and realize how incredibly good the people in the band are at just playing their instruments. And how seriously they are just rocking out like crazy, completely absorbed by what they're doing, and essentially putting all other people within a 500 mile radius who are attempting to rock to shame.
This is especially important to me due to how much I love sad whiny bastard music, rather than music that tells you to adventure out and seek glory and end up in Valhalla (or just have a large amount of sex).

I am also really into the sort of great gender ambiguity going on in their live performances, in which Robert Plant and Jimmy Page basically have dressed in tight women's clothing, covered themselves in jewelry, with their hair grown long and covering their faces. And yet, even though Robert Plant indeed looked a great deal like a woman up on stage most of the time, and Jimmy Page was incredibly skinny and pale and sickly looking, they were still rock sex gods. It is totally awesome.

Okay, enough about this. I will go back to listening to my emo sissy rock now and leave the Zep alone. If you are anywhere near me, or not, shitfuck please give me an email or a call or something before I have to leave the country.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well written article.