Sunday, September 30, 2007

Remiss.

Ignore me! IGNORE ME!

...Onto other things. This is the first weekend since school really started that Monday hasn't been a national holiday, so at the moment I am trying to slog through my homework on time instead of letting everything slip until the five minutes before class actually starts. I am pretty terrible at this, it seems, since right now it's about 10:30pm and, even though I have been awake nearly 12 hours, and have not today left the apartment, I am still nowhere near done. Then again I am pretty sure the last five years of my higher education have gone exactly like this.

Autumn seems to have finally got its hold on Japan. The last two days have been cool and rainy, which, even though not most people's definition of "good weather", makes me happy after my season-less year in Los Angeles. I've been able to stop turning on the air conditioning (saving me some ¥), and a few nights ago I was leaving the window open while I slept. Even with the occasional truck sounds and loud drunks/loud early risers, nothing beats a cool breeze coming in while you're lying in bed.

I think my lifestyle has started to even out along with the season. As opposed to weekends past, which consisted of spending too much money on karaoke and drinking (and getting emotional, thank you for that beer), this weekend was a great deal more pleasant. Friday night, two guys from school came over to shoot the shit with me and my roommate. We ate peanuts and drank beer and attempted to turn a rug-beater and a trashcan into a giant bubble wand, but only succeeded in using up all my dish soap. Saturday the roommate and I spent a majority of the day in a gigantic electronics store trying to figure out a work-around for his broken laptop, then met up with a friend of mine from the summer for dinner and general hanging-outs. Somehow this hanging out also resulted in all of us going to Uniqlo and indulging in their super, super cheap clothing. Which makes for a pretty good outing actually, all things considered.

And then now, a lazy Sunday. I made french fries in my toaster oven (surprisingly delicious) and made broiled nasu (eggplant) and hiya-yakko for dinner. The roommate went out to get a beer with a friend, then came home and did odd things, such as backwards somersaults, for my amusement. The two of us get on better than I would have expected before he came to live with me, which I think is a significant part of the reason I'm happier in Japan this autumn than I was in the fall. It also makes me feel rather adult, learning how to live with a man.

Now it appears he's fallen asleep in his loft while reading the English language classifieds. Time to turn the lights down.

No comments: