Sunday, September 16, 2007

Small revelations.

I feel like I've been transported back to college, both half the way I actually lived it and half the way college always seemed like it was "supposed" to be.
Right now I'm sitting in bed, wearing an old t-shirt that reads "Smaug" under a picture of a dragon and a pair of cut-off brown pants. Every so often, I can hear my roommate move in his bed while he reads. And, tellingly, the two of us didn't make it back home from our night out last night until after 12pm this afternoon.
So, while it might not actually be late, it feels like it is. I've spent most of today slowly transitioning out of "partying" phase with naps and reading, while my roomie uses hefty amounts of smoking and a few leftover beers to ease off his hangover. Luckily, it's a three day weekend, so I have tomorrow to conquer the serious amount of homework I've racked up over the last week. It's just too bad I won't be able to throw it all in my bag and march down to a local coffee shop to work until I hemorrhage french roast and have reread every news website available on the internet, twice.
But for now, to the backtracking. The first week of normal class after testing was hard. The students got shuffled around a lot, I found myself staying in the computer lab during lunch and after class to finish homework assignments and memorize kanji, and from Tuesday onward I also acquired a roommate who liked to talk much more than he liked to let me do my homework. One student in my class was planning to have many of us out to his (actual) house for a barbecue on Saturday, however, and somehow I also ended up inviting a few people over to my apartment for Friday evening. I don't know if I really need to stress how unusual it is for me to have weekend "plans"; just rest assured that I cannot remember any time in my life so far where I went 'out' two nights in a row, if it ever did actually happen before.

**********************************************************************************

I just cut out about three paragraphs of boring "party recap". Nothing really is as terrible as reading about a thing you didn't go to, involving people that you don't know, badly written to boot. If you like, I can send you some pictures. All I really want to say, anyway. is that I'm pretty happy here right now. I have had more fun than I usually do, and felt less cripplingly awkward than I usually do as well. I can't begin to tell you what a difference that makes.

No comments: